Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Sunshine of Your Love

“I AM the light of the world” - John 9:5

I read something interesting about sunshine today. I got an email which was extolling the need for sunshine and the following exerpt really caught my attention:

“Sunlight comes to us in a spectrum of both visible colors and shades we can't see. These different shades, called wavelengths, bring energy and stimulate life. Plants use certain wavelengths to produce food and energy. Animals use other wavelengths to remain healthy.”

It made me think about the sunshine of God’s love for us. His love also comes to us in a spectrum of colors. Just as faith is believing that which we cannot see, so is the “Son’s” light coming to us on wavelengths, bringing us energy and stimulating life in our souls. Plants need certain wavelengths to produce food and energy. So do we.

The light of God feeds our bodies and souls like nothing else on earth can. We would perish without this light. All that is left without the light is darkness.

Today on the way to Mayo it was a glorious sunny day. I recalled the song by Eric Clapton “ called “The Sunshine of Your Love.” I sang it to Johnny on the way to Mayo Clinic:

“I’m with you my love,
The light’s shining through on you.
Yes, I’m with you my love,
It’s the morning and just we two.
I’ll stay with you darling now,
I’ll stay with you till my seas are dried up.

I’ve been waiting so long
To be where I’m going
In the sunshine of your love.”


I built him a fire when I got back and kept it going 11 hours all day long as we watched inaugural events. Johnny loves watching a fire but he wasn’t feeling good today. I knew he needed some sunshine in his soul. I remember he used to fix a fire for me every night when I had to sleep on the couch during my breast cancer journey.

I used to drift in and out of sleep and seeing the light of that fire made me feel like the light of God was bathing me in healing power. It was so comforting. It dispelled the darkness of the valley I was in. It made me sleep better. Every time my eyes blinked open I would see the fire getting smaller and smaller until it faded into glowing embers.

Now it was my turn to bring light to Johnny. He slept a lot on the couch after a brief visit with company. He needed sleep so those healing hormones could kick in. And I believe the fire has wavelengths just like the sun. I watched him from my recliner as he slept on the couch. I sent him another kind of wavelength. I sent him love. I sent him prayer.

Thoughts are electro-magnetic waves of light that I believe can penetrate the soul. This must be true because prayers are thoughts from one soul to another and as God is my witness (she said shaking her fist in the air,) we can feel those prayers and cares coming at us from every corner!

Today our dear friend Rachel sent us the following email:

This morning, my co-worker Barbara came to me and said ‘Your friend and her dad and family were on my mind this weekend. I thought about them and said a special prayer for them because I was thinking of them.’ I just wanted to share that with you all, and let you know that people everywhere are thinking of Johnny and of you.

This weekend, as I was cleaning around the house, a hymn came into my head that also made me think of Johnny. It’s fitting, since his blog is called “Johnny’s Journey to Victory” and I wanted to share it with you. I know that you know it, and I’m sure the tune will come to mind as you sing.

This happens to us frequently. People write us and tell us of the many different instances throughout the day that they are thinking of us and praying for us. Now that is what I call some “Son-shine” for the soul! These are little miracles of God’s light. It is hard for us to fathom we are in so many people’s thoughts. It could only be God at work.

The hymn Rachel mentioned was perfectly apropos, considering that today Johnny made the front page of our local newspaper on the same page of Barak Obama’s headline “Long Road To Victory.” There they were, Johnny and Barack, side by side on the road to hope! It tickled Johnny. I want to share part of the hymn with you:

Victory in Jesus


I heard an old, old story,
How a Savior came from glory,
How He gave His life on Calvary
To save a wretch like me;

I heard about His groaning,
Of His precious blood’s atoning,
Then I repented of my sins
And won the victory.

O victory in Jesus,
My Savior, forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood;

He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him,
He plunged me to victory,
Beneath the cleansing flood.

I heard about His healing,
Of His cleansing pow’r revealing.
How He made the lame to walk again
And caused the blind to see;

And then I cried, “Dear Jesus,
Come and heal my broken spirit,”
And somehow Jesus came and bro’t
To me the victory.

O victory in Jesus,
My Savior, forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood;


I hope when you read this entry today you will think of putting a little “Sonshine” in your soul today. Plugging into the power of God’s love will help you bloom and grow like plants basking in the sunlight above. Just as much as we need the sun OUTSIDE, we need the Son INSIDE of us to grow deeper and deeper into the knowledge of our miracle making Lord. Flowers bloom only in the sunlight. We too need our source of light to color our worlds with blessings from above.

Beautiful Blessings,

Rene

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought sure the hymn would be "There's Sunshine in my Soul" ! Brenda