Sunday, June 29, 2008

From The Mouth of Babes

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" - Mathew 5:8

It's a lovely lazy Sunday here filled with homemade blueberry pancakes, beautiful sunshine filtering through the lace covered windows and the morning paper read cover to cover. Johnny is taking it easy after a chemo-filled day on Friday. We rolled through the gates of Mayo Clinic early in the morning and didn't leave until late afternoon.

It is indescribable though, the feeling of healing and peace that hits you the moment you enter the campus of Mayo Clinic. Lush flower-filled gardens abound everywhere, intricately woven amongst the trees, and the ponds and the waterfalls and the walking bridges. Benches are scattered throughout in both shady and sunny spots to provide moments of reflection, rest, quiet and prayer. This is the 'disneyworld of medicine."

Stress is left behind! Once you enter the building you encounter smiling, sunny personalities of staff members on all levels who seem to emulate the motto of Mayo - "the patient's best interest is our first priority." You feel welcome. You feel relaxed. You feel cared about. You feel "at home." You see God everywhere.

Yesterday I got an email from my parents' dear friend Barbara Jean Woomer showing God through the eyes of children, and I just HAVE to share it. I printed it out for Johnny to read and we both got a chuckle from it. Here it is. Thanks Mrs. Woomer!

A fifth grade teacher in a Christian school asked her class to look at TV commercials and see if they could use them in some way to communicate ideas about God. I love the wisdom of pure hearts! Here is what they thought God was like:

God is like....BAYER ASPIRIN...He works miracles.

God is like...a FORD...He's got a better idea.

God is like...COKE...He's the real thing.

God is like...HALLMARK CARDS...He cares enough to send His very best.

God is like...TIDE...He gets the stains out that others leave behind.

God is like...GENERAL ELECTRIC...He brings good things to life.

God is like...SEARS...He has everything.

God is like...ALKA-SELTZER...Try Him, you'll like Him

God is like...SCOTCH TAPE...You can't see Him, but you know He's there.

God is like...DELTA...He's ready when you are.

God is like...ALLSTATE...You're in good hands with Him.

God is like...VO-5 Hair Spray ...He holds through all kinds of weather.

God is like...DIAL SOAP...Aren't you glad you have Him? Don't you wish everybody did?

God is like...the U.S. POST OFFICE... Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet nor ice will keep Him from His appointed destination.

God is like...Chevrolet. . .the heart beat of America

God is like...Maxwell house. . .Good to the very last drop

God is like...B o u n t y .. . .He is the quicker picker upper. . can handle the tough jobs. . and He won't fall apart on you.



I hope your day is filled with seeing God in everything! He is our Father and we are His children - that is one thing that He never wants us to forget. He tells us in Matthew 18:3 that "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

A card I received from my cousin Robin (soul-sister!) and her husband Chris reminds us, that as children, there are 10 things God wants us to remember:


1. I am for you.
2. I love you.
3. I believe in you.
4. I will bless you.
5. I will give you rest.
6. I will be with you.
7. I will not fail you.
8. I will provide for you.
9. I will strengthen you.
10. I WILL ANSWER YOU!

So open your hearts to your heavenly Father today and join us as we kleft in His bosom and enjoy the rest we all need! I wish you faith, hope and love as your soul is restored and your trust is strengthened as you continue to BELIEVE!

Beautiful Blessings,

Rene

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Johnny, Rene and Scarlett,

It's been a few days since I've written but you should know that you have been constantly on our minds and in our prayers. The blogs have been inspirational as have the good reports about Johnny's daily fighting in faith. I am sending a verse from Romans that has sustained me during some of life's trials. Here it is:

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

Only ten words, but they contain all of the elements needed to face anything that comes our way. As I read your blogs I sense that you are already living this verse. Your daily joy and hope in the Lord are contagious and literally jump off the pages to inspire and uplift those who read the blogs. I sometimes substitute the word trusting for patient, and your ability to be patient and trust God in this fight has been remarkable. We see the example of faithful in prayer as you speak about life becoming a conversational prayer.
I pray that this verse will give you strength as it has me. Please know that Nancy and I continue to lift all of you to the God of Creation.

Kit Crews

PS... In Psalm 138:3, David said, "When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted." Continue to call on Him and he will keep you strong of heart as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rene! Happy Birthday! The blog is so beautiful and it is just FLOWING with the GRACE of GOD and all the beauty in the world! You're such a great writer, and I'm in constant prayer over you and your family! God has shown himself to you during trials before! Expect him to do great things this time too! He is a MIRACLE-MAKER!!!

Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Mr. Crews- You are soooo wonderful! I feel so blessed to not only have met Sarah, but her loving family as well through her wedding. Thank you for your continued encouraging words, and most importantly, in sharing God's word.

Franca- You're the best!