Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Let Me See Your Sermon

Johnny has been slipping into the side effects of his first chemo since yesterday. Today he got his neulasta shot to help the bone remake white blood cells. He is very ackey - especially in his bones. It feels like the flu. I told him it will only last a few days. No nausea yet so far - hallelujah! And the cards are hitting the mailbox!

Tomorrow night we have a family date to watch the movie "The Bucket List" with Scarlett. It's all about doing th things you always wanted to do - and what really matters in life.

I ran across a favorite poem during my quiet time with God today. It's in a book called "Heart Blessings." It is a scrapbook of Christian poetry and prose for inspiration and daily devotion compiled by Dale Crowley. I read it as a companion to the bible each morning.

The poem is called "Let Me SEE Your Sermon" and I love it because it's all about one of the greatest lessons I learned while conquering cancer. My friend Rea has a favorite saying "You can talk the talk and you can walk the walk but it's better to walk the talk then to talk the walk..." Got it?

What that means is to simply wake up each morning and start LIVING your Christianity with every step you take.........with every word you speak.......with every action you do......keeping always in the back of your mind - what would Jesus do? Stop talking about it and over-analyzing - get out and do something about it!

I heard Joyce Meyers say "Going to church on Sundays won't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage will make you a car. We need to be in church on Sundays to feed our souls on the Word and recharge our lights through fellowship where two or more are gathered in HIs name. But Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday you'll find me walking the talk and spreading the love to every person I encounter through my actions, through my interest because I believe every person I meet is a heavenly assignment.

And Jesus spread His message by teaching not preaching. He taught by example. He went out of His way to touch people and heal them with love and kindness. How often do we go out of our own comfort zones - just stop and go out of our way to do a kindness if just to make someone smile. I think the moments that count are the ones we don't have time for or don't feel like going to the trouble for - but we do it anyway because we know that one life will breathe easier because we did. That's living as God intended us to. Here's the poem:


Let Me SEE Your Sermon

I'd rather see a sermon than hear one anyday,
I'd rather one should walk with me than merely show the way.
The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear;
Fine counseling is confusing, but example's always clear.

And the best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds,
For to see the good in action is what everybody needs.
I can soon learn how to do it if you'll let me see it done,
I can watch your hands in action but your tongue too fast may run.

And the lectures you deliver may be very wise and true;
But I'd rather get my lessons by observing what you do.
For I may misunderstand you and the high advice you give,
But there is no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.

No comments: